About Me

My photo
I serve as pastor of Trinity United Methodist Church in Annapolis, MD. I'm married to beautiful Paula, mother of my 4 sons and one daughter. I was a systems engineer before entering ministry 29 years ago.

Monday, August 22, 2011

How to Put On the Armor of God

I've been preaching a sermon series called The Greater One, which talks in practical terms about how to make real in our lives the fact that the one who is in us is greater than the one who is in the world (1 John 4:4). The audio for the 5-part series can be found on the website trinityannapolis.org.

As part of the most recent installment, on the armor of God, I prayed an example prayer of how I put on the armor of God. Several people asked for copies of that prayer. So for those who might be interested, I post it here.

Here’s how I pray it, based on Ephesians 6:10-19:

Lord God, thank you for your presence with me this day. As I prepare for the day, I put on the whole armor of God, according to the Bible.

I put on the belt of truth, that I may not deceive nor be deceived, nor deceive myself, but know the truth to be set free by it, and speak the truth in love to set others free.

I put on the breastplate of righteousness, that everything I say and do and think and feel may be righteous in your sight, O Lord.

I put on the shoes of the preparation of the gospel of peace, that I may be prepared for whatever happens to go in peace, stand in peace, and spread the gospel of peace in peace. Let me be prepared spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, and logistically. Let me make preparation a priority, and give me foresight to prepare.

I take the shield of faith, that I may quench the flaming arrows of the enemy. Give me discernment to recognize them and their source, wisdom to deal with them, faith to quench their flames and deflect their points, and faith to stand and to go in peace. Give me faith to believe all you have for me to believe - all the promises of the child of God, and faith to believe for miracles and healings; faith for all you have for me to receive - blessings and favor and fruitfulness and health and long life and abundance and love and friends; and faith to do all you have called me to do.

I take the helmet of salvation, that I may have the mind of Christ and the holy boldness that comes from knowing that I'm saved. Lord, give me your thoughts, your ideas, your attitudes, your feelings and emotions and responses, your creativity, inspiration, priorities, disciplines, wisdom, compassion, insight, foresight, understanding, perseverance, leadership skills, prayer skills, miracle skills, people skills, management skills, family skills, communication skills, everything I need to do what you have called me to do.

I take the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God. Please give me a growing love for your word, an ability to read it and understand it and apply it and obey it and teach it and convey it and impart this to others.

Help me pray at all times in the Spirit, that I may remain in constant communication with you. Please open my spiritual eyes, that I may see in the spirit realm. I want to see you, see what is happening and what you are doing so I can fall in line with it, see dreams and visions, see people as you see them, including myself. Open my ears to hear your voice, so I can speak your word and follow your guidance. Let me know your will and your way with clarity, accuracy, confidence and timely obedience.

Lord, I offer myself for whatever you have for me this day. Thank you that you are always with me. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Pray this every day and I guarantee it will change your life!