About Me

My photo
I serve as pastor of Trinity United Methodist Church in Annapolis, MD. I'm married to beautiful Paula, mother of my 4 sons and one daughter. I was a systems engineer before entering ministry 29 years ago.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Refill Your Candles

I was just checking the candles in our Advent Wreath in preparation for our Christmas Eve services. I had noticed Sunday that they didn’t seem to be burning, even though they had been lit.

These particular candles are “oil candles,” actually oil-burning lamps made to look like candles. When Wanda Lee and I checked the candles, we found that there is oil in them. But when I lit them, they smoldered, but didn’t really burn brightly enough for anyone to see.

On further investigation I found that while the bottom of the wick was wet, the top was dry. There was oil in them, but not enough to make a visible flame.

I wonder how many Christians are like that? We’ve been lit, but to look at us, we sure don’t seem to be burning.

In the Bible, oil is often used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit of God. Just as the oil candles need to be kept filled with oil, we need to stay filled with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18).

How do we do that? Spend time in prayer, Bible reading, and just sitting quietly focused on God. We who know the Lord need to allow God to fill us in our personal devotional times, so when we come together in worship we can burn brightly for God and provide light for others.